"I don't look like what I've been through"

Happy New Year, Readers!!!! 

This is a new day and a new year so I wanted to start out with a NEW ATTITUDE! :) I have declared this will be a great year. I will not take people and moments for granted anymore. BUT, I will also not make myself available for people and situations that don't deserve my time or attention. This is not a New Year's Resolution this is my new way of life.  I hope you are ready to join me in surrounding yourself with positive and supportive people who give 100% to your relationship like you.

Not only have I decided to make this change in my life I have also decided to not let my past define me. I have chosen a phrase to help me through the year and properly put an end to last year. Yea, I know what you're thinking..."a phrase? Shonda, you're crazy." But, I find that this inspires me and it also helps me self assess. 

The phrase I chose is also my title "I don't look like what I've been through." If you don't quite understand let me elaborate; what you might see when you look at me is a bright, proud, sassy, always over dressed, young lady on the road to success. But what you don't see is everything I went through to get to this point, things that continue to happen each and every day. 

Over the years I've learned the world will look at us (both you and me) and make assumptions about our life. They may say, "oh...they are wealthy, they are perfect, they always win, they have everything," and so on and so forth. Some of us are even guilty of doing it to others. What we fail to realize is we don't always know the entire story. We don't always get to see the failures and the "get back up and try agains." We don't get to witness the moment they almost gave up, when the doctor gave bad news or when credit card debt was high and the future looked dim. We don't get to see the house fire that caused more debt and the fear of not having a home. We don't get to see the sick children, how cancer destroyed their family, or when graduate school was almost out of the question but a FULL Scholarship came through days before the final payment was due. (I'm about to make myself shout.) People... WE DON'T SEE THE JOURNEY all we see is the success stories or should I say the illusion...the top of the iceberg. What I am saying is WE DON'T LOOK LIKE WHAT WE'VE BEEN THROUGH and I simply thank God that I survived.  My journey hasn't been easy but when the dust settled....Amen! 

With that being said let's go into this year KNOWING we have grown. We are not the same person we were 5 years ago. We have grown in love, life, spirituality, and so much more. Whatever you are going through right now...it won't last forever. If you stick with it you come out on the other side and the tip of your iceberg will appear. You won't look anything like the struggles you've been faced with. 

Let's continue to support and motivate each other and thanks so much for reading

P.S. I have attached a picture and video below. Check them out. The video is the actual song "I don't look like what I've been through." It is one of my favs...I absolutely love it! :)


XOXO
Lashonda 



Saw this the other day and it spoke volumes! 



 I hope this inspires you as it has me! 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Wh-Z9Mtog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I had a Miscarriage.

Black Girl in a Country World

It's All Good...Until it Ain't...